Saturday, January 26, 2008

Seriously Snowy

We moved here expecting a snowy city. And, having grown up in Revelstoke, I know what that means. Despite my mental preparation, I am happily surprised to see that this place is serious about snow. We are into the third straight day of big fat fun snow and I love it. I walked to the grocery store today and took a couple of pictures to share because a written description just doesn't do justice.

Here is a picture of our next door neighbour's driveway and vehicle - I don't think that he/she plans on going anywhere soon....


Here's a shot of one of the main streets near our place. The cars in the photo give you an idea of the size of the snow banks between the road and sidewalk. It feels like you are walking through a tunnel when you walk along the sidewalk.


And here is one of a car on our street. The plows aren't bothering with the side streets yet (they'll save that until 3:00 this morning - no sleep tonight). So the cars have made a narrow passage and are repeatedly getting stuck in the banks when they try to pass one another.


I have been waiting for people to stop riding their bikes here but even this much snow isn't deterring the hard core bikers. For some it makes sense because they have big sturdy mountain bikes with studded tires, but others are still riding flimsy little bikes in this weather - crazy.

We have ended up in a good situation with the apartment that we are in. My office is in walking distance. Shawn has a friend at work who lives close and so he gets a ride to work. We have a few friends with apartments within a few blocks of us so we don't have far to walk for some laughs and good conversation.

This kind of weather certainly doesn't bother me, in fact I like it (could have something to do with growing up in Revelstoke...). This weather is all about knitting or reading a book beside a nice warm fire with good music and a big mug of hot chocolate. Now, if I could only find somewhere that has a fireplace....

No comments: