Sunday, September 23, 2007

Canada is Golden Down Under


The Canadian dragon boat teams competing in the IDBF world Championships in Australia this weekend put on a clinic and dominated in nearly all age and gender classes. I couldn’t be more proud of our team mates Tom and Kris and of course, Shawn who raced with the maple leaf on their backs there. Way to go boys!! Above is a photo of the Canadain men in a start of a race - I put a big red arrowhead pointing out Shawn - Kris is behind him and you can't see Tom.

Here is the basic breakdown of the results (I have posted all that I could find online - the communication between the races and the rest of the world was not very good):


Shawn said that the racing went well and that the teams down there were smoking fast. Now Shawn is off on a bit of travelling in Sydney before he returns home to finish up work and pack up the house. He plans to spend some time camping and scuba diving on the East Coast of Australia.

Back home in Canada, between bouts of internet searching to find out the results of racing in Australia, I have made good progress in preparing to leave for Japan. I have managed to pack up a lot of the house and “clean sweep” my closet. A few helpful friends stopped in and gave me a hand drinking wine and cutting down on old clothes. I went from a big closet and 8 dresser drawers full of clothes, to an easily packable 4 drawers of items – thanks gals!

Before packing away my cookbooks I thought I would spend some time typing out some essential recipes that I will certainly want to use as a break from sushi. Instead, I found a great website that lists all of the Best of Bridge recipes on it (click here to find great recipes). Perfect, that leaves me more room to pack other fun things like photos!

Time is ticking and I am now down to 6 days to go until I leave. Most of the travel arrangements are in place and things around the house are mostly taken care of. Now all that is left is to say goodbye to friends and hand the cat off to Eileen. That will be a sad goodbye and I am already dreading the look that I am going to get from him when he realizes that I am leaving him somewhere that doesn’t smell like home. Other than that, I am feeling relatively ready to go and excited for the challenges ahead (and I am sure that there are going to be BIG challenges).