Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Packing Up

It has been a long couple of weeks of packing up and cutting down on "stuff" that one accumulates when they have a house and shed to store things in. Of note this week I waved goodbye to Billy - our big brown camper van that had taken us on so many fun adventures. A German tourist bought it and plans to take it across Canada. We had always hoped to do that in the van, I am glad that the van will finally make the trip.

Another tough event was taking the cat over to his new foster home. Sooh knew that something was up long before the transfer and managed to make his wishes clear to me by plunking himself firmly inside my bag and giving me a look that said "Why don't I get to go? See look, I fit!"

I am not worried about how he will fare hanging out with Eileen and Kris for the next while, but I am less sure of how Shawn and I will do without our little buddy around. It was a sad goodbye (for me that is, the cat seems to be doing fine already).

It is hard to believe that it is my last night at "home". I have said a number of goodbyes in the past couple of days but none of it seems real just yet. With the seemingly endless lists of things to consider and tasks to get done, I haven't really had the time to sit back and think it all through, and maybe that is for the best. Perhaps it will seem more tangible when I get on the plane tomorrow.

At any rate, I am looking forward to the trip. The travel time is around 14 hours in total and the flight across the Pacific is only 8 hours. A student from my lab will be there to pick me up when I arrive, which will be nice. With luck, I will be dining on some of the freshest Sushi that northern Japan has to offer in just over 24 hours.